SharePoint Access Denied Error


Some time back I had an issue with a SP2007 site. Users were getting the Access Denied error in the front end site. I couldn’t even log in with a Farm Administrator site! I could get to CA though. I spent days searching and trying different things, messing with permissions, etc. Eventually I stumbled upon a page with information about the SetSiteLock feature.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262811%28v=office.12%29.aspx

So I check the site lock setting with this script:

stsadm -o getsitelock -url http://server_name

Lo and behold it was set to readonly, which makes you think that you could access it. In this case however, no one could access it! So when I set the SetSiteLock to none, it was fixed. So I found that while the server was performing a backup, Windows Update came along and applied updates. Naturally it kindly restarted the server for me, leaving the site in Readonly (but somehow locked) status. Since the powers that be would not let ME control the Windows Updates, I scheduled backups to NOT coincide. I’ve never had that issue come up since.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s